This comprehensive option combines three of our one-day courses over consecutive days, offering you the opportunity to explore your medical leadership and management in both breadth and depth. The three one-day courses are:
- Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management
- Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors
- Everyday Medical Leadership & the NHS
Choosing this option saves you £200 compared to selecting each of the one day courses on separate occasions. You receive a certificate for 18 CPD points on completion of the three days.
What will I learn?
In order to cover medical leadership and management in breadth each of the three days has its own defined focus.
Day 1: ‘Get things done through taking the lead and managing people’.
The key topics are:
- High performing teams and the leader’s role
- Clarify how teams develop, their requirements for functioning well and reasons for dysfunctional teams
- Leadership and management style and substance
- Identify your style and how to adapt
- Engagement, motivation and influence
- Establishing a range of effective tactics to positively affect the behaviours of others
- Leading innovation and leading consistency
- Experiment with methods for each and explore the possibilities for utilising the alternative approaches
- Dealing with under-performance
- Consider the reasons for under-performance and methods of taking appropriate action
Day 2: ‘Get things done through organising people, projects and resources’.
The key topics are:
- Root cause analysis
- establishing what has happened and why it has happened
- Developing aims and objectives
- defining what you want to achieve as a result of your analysis
- Developing robust, realistic plans
- preparing how both yourself and others will take action
- Delivery and implementation
- making it happen through effective delegation, addressing procrastination and managing interruptions
- Time management and personal effectiveness
Day 3: ‘Improve your everyday medical leadership and influence. Learn how to interact with the system you work within.’
The key topics are:
- What’s wrong with the NHS?
- Consider the tensions which exist between the various aims of the system
- Drivers, reactions and experiences of change
- Explore the reasons why change takes place and typical reactions that we experience along the choices that we have
- The history of the NHS
- Establish how we ended up where we are today and what can be learned from the past
- Structures of the NHS
- Clarify who does what and the differences across the four nations of the UK
- Finance and the NHS
- Discover how the money flows and recognise how any individual can make a worthwhile difference
What is the format?
In keeping with the majority of our courses the 3 Day leadership & Management Course for Doctors is limited to 18 delegates. This enables a genuinely interactive experience for you where you have the opportunity to learn both from our experienced Faculty of Tutors and from your fellow delegates. We use a broad range of approaches including small group exercises, large group discussions, input from your tutor and quite reflection time to collect your own thoughts. This variety sustains your learning opportunities across the three days which start at 09:00 and typically end 1630-17:00. (Finish time is dependent on delegate numbers and interaction).
One of our experienced Management Consultants support your first two days of the course. Your third day is led by an NHS Consultant level doctor. We select your tutors from our faculty based on their knowledge of the subject matter and, of course, their ability to facilitate your development.
You also receive three of our books when you attend as part of your delegate package:
- The Essential Guide to Medical Leadership & Management
- Practical Management for Doctors
- A Guide to Medical Leadership & the NHS 2017-18
The books support your learning at the event and also provide an excellent resource for your future reference.
Is this course right for me?
At three days duration, this course is ideal for doctors who want to dedicate time to exploring leadership and management in both breadth and depth. Doctors of all levels – from Foundation to Consultant and GPs – give us positive feedback regarding their participation. Whether you are seeking new models and structures or want to simply review and share your experiences as a means of building on your current abilities your tutors will support you in achieving your aims. It’s also an excellent way to gain a significant number of CPD points. You receive a certificate for 18 CPD points on completion of the course.
What alternative/additional courses should I consider?
You may of course prefer to do any one of, or any permutation of our one-day leadership and management courses which collectively make up the 3-day course.
If you want to explore conflict or negotiation then our Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors, where we cover these subjects in depth, will be a good option for you.
One option to consider as an add-on is the Medical Leadership & Management Online Course. It lets you learn and gain 3 CPD points whenever the time suits you. Choose to do it in short bursts or in one sitting.