Overview of the 2-Day Medical Leadership & Management Course
This package combines the following two 1-day medical leadership and management courses:
- Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management
- Practical Leadership and Management Course for Doctors.
Selecting this option saves you £140 when compared to purchasing the courses separately.
What will I learn on this course?
This two day course is designed to develop your ability to get things done by improving the way you interact with other people and by taking a structured approach to leading change. Each day has its own clear focus.
Day 1: ‘Get things done through taking the lead and managing people.’
Modern healthcare is, more often than not, delivered via teams of people. So, on our first day, we focus on human interaction and the behaviours required for good medical leadership. This includes:
- High performing teams and the leader’s role. Clarify how teams develop, their requirements for functioning well and reasons for dysfunctional teams.
- Leadership and management style and substance. Identify your style and how to adapt.
- Engagement, motivation and influence. Establish a range of effective tactics to positively affect the behaviours of others.
- Leading innovation and leading consistency. Experiment with methods for each and explore the possibilities for utilising the alternative approaches.
- Dealing with under-performance. Consider the reasons for under-performance and methods of taking appropriate action.
Day 2: ‘Get things done through organising people, projects and resources’.
If you want to make things happen, a structured approach makes a big difference. So here, we focus on the methods and processes you need to lead change effectively and efficiently. This includes:
- Root cause analysis. How to establish what has happened and why it has happened, so you know what needs to change.
- Developing aims and objectives. How to define what you want to achieve as a result of your analysis.
- Developing robust, realistic plans. Methods for preparing how both yourself and others will take action to ensure you achieve your aims.
- Delivery and implementation. Make it happen through effective delegation, addressing procrastination and managing interruptions.
- Time management and personal effectiveness. Develop essential skills for making sure you get the most from each day and to optimise efficiency.
What is the format?
All of our courses utilise interactive sessions where you have the opportunity to learn both from your experienced tutor and from your fellow delegates. On the 2 Day Medical Leadership & Management Course, we restrict the maximum number of delegates to 18 when delivered in-person, and 9 in our Virtual Classroom, so as to better facilitate this approach. Across the two days, a mix of presentations, small group exercises, larger group discussions, input from your tutor and quiet reflection time helps to sustain your attention and bring theory to life. We start each day at 09:00 and typically end 1630-17:00. Finish time is dependent on delegate numbers and interaction.
You receive two comprehensive guidebooks when you attend as part of your delegate package:
These are provided as the print editions when you attend the course in-person and the digital versions when you book a Virtual Classroom course. The books support your learning during the course as well as providing an excellent resource for your future reference.
What’s different about courses in the Virtual Classroom?
Using secure video meeting software, your tutor presents and lead group interaction, covering the same content as the in-person equivalent. Maximum delegate numbers are reduced from 18 to 9 to better facilitate this. You will receive the same CPD certificate as you would from the in-person course, as well as digital copies of the two course books.
As an added bonus, you also have complimentary access to the Team Leadership Online Course Pack. So you have the opportunity to gain an additional 5 CPD points. The two online courses which you receive in this collection are:
- Medical Leadership & Management Online Course (3 CPD points)
- Medical Team Communication Skills Online Course (2 CPD points)
You receive separate certificates for each of these online courses as evidence of further training. Please note. These additional online courses are only provided as part of your package when your course takes place in our Virtual Classroom.
Is this the best medical leadership & management course for me?
We welcome doctors of all levels of experience and specialties to this course. It’s FMLM accredited because it maps to their Leadership and Management Standards for Medical Professionals. So doctors of all levels – from Foundation to Consultants and GPs – give us positive feedback regarding their experience. You can read their unedited reviews on TrustPilot. You may be seeking new models and structures to improve your ways of working or to run a project. Or you may want to simply review your skills and share your experiences as a means of building on your current abilities. Either way, your tutors will support you in achieving your aims. It’s also an excellent way to gain a significant number of CPD points. You receive a certificate for 12 CPD points on completion of the 2-day course.
Many doctors use their certificate from this course as evidence of leadership and management training to support their application for CT, IMT or ST programmes, to gain their CESR or to achieve their CCT.
What alternative or additional medical leadership and management courses should I consider?
You may prefer to do either of the 1-day medical leadership and management courses which make up this 2-day option. Alternatively, you may want to consider our 3-day Leadership & Management Course for Doctors, which adds Everyday Medical Leadership and Management & the NHS as the third day. This is where we explore the UK healthcare system and how to interact with it in order to improve your effectiveness.
If you want to explore conflict or negotiation then a good option is our 1-day Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors, where we cover these subjects in depth.