Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management course overview
On this 1-day medical leadership and management course, we focus on how you get things done through your impact on other people. Our expert tutors help you identify your personal leadership style before sharing tactics for versatility. We explore methods of gaining maximum performance from your team through motivation and influence. Creativity and consistency both have their place in modern healthcare. So we ensure you are capable of finding ways for these conflicting behaviours to co-exist. We also investigate under-performance: what are the causes and how do you manage it?
Why this particular course?
The ever-changing world of modern healthcare demands doctors develop leadership and management skills from the earliest years in training. It’s then important to review, refresh and enhance these skills throughout your career.
Our format and materials are the culmination of our years of development and refinement in this field. We draw upon a wide range of healthcare reports and materials to ensure the content is rich in both depth and breadth. Medical leadership and management is an example of applied human behaviour. So we also look outside the field of healthcare. We investigate the best models and concepts that are available. And we take great care to share this content in an interactive manner, ensuring you can apply what you learn to your role as a doctor. As a result, we are proud that our Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management Course is recognised and accredited by the Faculty of Medical Leadership & Management, (FMLM).
What do I learn on this leadership & management course?
Your expert tutor begins by helping you investigate the subject of teams. How do they develop? What do the members of a team require? Why do things go wrong? They then guide you to identify your personal leadership-management style and the impact you may have in different situations before introducing you to approaches which increase your versatility. Next we focus on engagement, motivation and influence. This equips you with tools and methods which you can apply in a broad range of situations. Innovation and consistency are both essential in the modern medical world. So we dedicate a section of the day to finding methods of balancing these clashing demands. Finally, we concentrate on the challenge of effectively dealing with under-performance.
Along the way, you interact with and learn from your fellow delegates, as well from your tutor. We achieve this by striking a balance between providing information, experiential-learning and giving you time to reflect. This approach helps you to develop your own thoughts.
You also receive a copy of our book, The Essential Guide to Medical Leadership & Management (retail price £29.99) as part of your delegate package. This is the print edition when you attend the course in-person and the digital version when you book a Virtual Classroom course. It provides you with a valuable resource for future reference as well as supporting your learning at the course.
What’s the format for courses run in the Virtual Classroom?
Courses in our Virtual Classrooms interactively cover the same content as our face-to-face courses. We use secure video meeting software for this format. This enables your tutor to lead group interaction where you learn together with other doctors. So you will receive the same CPD certificate as you would at any of our other venues. If you book a Virtual Classroom course, then you receive the digital copy of The Essential Guide to Medical Leadership & Management book. As an added bonus, you also have complimentary access to our Medical Leadership & Management Online Course (normal retail price £180). This provides you the opportunity to gain an extra 3 CPD points with a separate certificate as evidence of further training in leadership and management skills. Please note. This additional online course is only provided as part of your package when your course takes place in our Virtual Classroom.
Is Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management Course right for me?
The Faculty of Medical Leadership & Management accredit this course as suitable for doctors of all levels. That’s all the way from foundation years to consultant and beyond. It is equally effective for introduction, progression or as refresher on the subject matter. Throughout the day, we encourage delegates to share their thoughts and experiences, resulting in a productive learning experience for all.
You receive a certificate for 6 CPD points when you complete the course. Many doctors use their certificate as evidence of leadership and management training to support their application for CT, IMT or ST programmes, to gain their CESR or achieve their CCT.
Are there other courses should I consider?
Select Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management to develop your ability to get things done through interacting with others at a human level. Alternative and complimentary courses from our Medical Leadership & Management range include:
- Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – Focus on getting things done through leadership and management of people, projects and resources. Includes time-management and personal effectiveness. 6 CPD points.
- Everyday Medical Leadership & The NHS – Improve your everyday medical leadership and influence. Learn how to interact with the system you work within. 6 CPD points.
- 2 Day Medical Leadership & Management Course – Combines the Practical and the Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management and saves £140 compared to purchasing them separately. 12 CPD points.
- 3 Day Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – Explore the concepts and application of medical leadership and management in-depth by combining three key 1-day courses on consecutive days and save £180 compared to booking them separately.. 18 CPD points.
Online course options include:
- Medical Leadership & Management Online Course – Gain 3 CPD points and learn whenever the time suits you. Choose to do it in short bursts or in one sitting.
- Mentoring Skills for Doctors Online Course – A course to develop your abilities to be the skilled helper, supporting others to become capable, independent critical thinkers. 3 CPD points
- Medical Team Communication Skills Online Course – Great leaders need to understand teams – and need to form leadership teams. This course is focused on negotiation, difficult conversations, conflict and making change easy. 2 CPD points