On this one day Medical Leadership and Management course, we focus on the leadership and management of people. Our expert management consultants will help you identify your personal leadership style plus ways to improve your communication approach. You will discover how to get maximum performance from your team, exploring motivation, influence and balancing the potential conflicts arising from the needs for both creativity and consistency. We will also investigate the cause of, and solutions to under-performance.
The constantly changing world of modern healthcare demands that doctors begin the development of medical leadership and management skills from the earliest years in training, then to continually enhance and apply these skills throughout their career.
During the 1-day Oxford Medical Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management Course we specifically focus on the leadership and management of people. The material has been developed and refined through the years by our experienced Faculty of Tutors, with a major revision coming into effect in June 2016. To ensure that the content is rich in both depth and breadth, we have drawn from a wide range of healthcare reports and materials. As medical leadership and management is directly related to human behaviour and interactions, we have also looked outside the field of healthcare and we make good use of the best models, concepts and principles available. We take great care to ensure that this content is delivered in an interactive manner, to ensure that you can effectively apply what you learn during the course to your work as a doctor.
On the day, our expert management consultant will enable you to explore how teams develop, what the members of a team require and why things go wrong. We help you to identify your personal leadership and management style, to recognise the impact that this may have in different situations and introduce you to concepts which will support you to become more flexible. Next we focus on the subject of engagement, motivation and influence to equip you with the tools and methods which can be applied to meet a broad range of situations. Innovation and consistency are both essential in the modern medical world, so from June 2016 onwards we now dedicate a section of the day to this aspect of your work before turning attention to the challenge of dealing with under-performance. Along the way, we great care take care to give you the time to interact and learn from both your fellow delegates and your tutor. We also provide a balance between interactive, experiential-learning, offering you fresh input and giving you time to reflect to develop your own thoughts.
You will receive a copy of our book, The Essential Guide to Leadership & Management (retail price £29.99) as part of your delegate package. This supports your learning at the course as well as providing you with a valuable resource for future reference.
Essentials of Medical Leadership and Management is suitable for doctors of all levels, from foundation to consultant, with all delegates encouraged to share their thoughts and experiences resulting in a productive learning experience for all.
Accredited for 6 CPD points.
What other courses should I consider?
Select Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management to develop your ability to get things done through interacting with others at a human level. Other courses from our Medical Leadership & Management range to consider as additions or alternatives are:
- Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – focus on getting things done through the management of people, projects and resources. Includes time-management and personal effectiveness.
- Everyday Medical Leadership & The NHS – Improve your everyday medical leadership and influence. Learn how to interact with the system you work within.
- 3 Day Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – a combination of elements of the three one-day courses (save £200 versus purchasing the courses separately).
- Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors – includes negotiation skills and dealing with conflict.
Further options to consider, as either alternatives or add-ons are:
- Online Medical Leadership & Management Course – It lets you learn and gain 3 CPD points whenever the time suits you. Choose to do it in short bursts or in one sitting.
- Communication Skills: Influence & Negotiation Course – 2 hour online course focused on difficult conversations, conflict and making change easy.