Why choose the Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors?
Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors is one of three distinct 1-day courses from our Medical Leadership & Management range. Here, we focus on getting things done through the organisation and management of people, projects and resources. This requires a distinct set of skills. The Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management recognise that applying these skills well has positive impacts all around. First of all, there are benefits to patients including improved experience and better outcomes. Then, there are benefits for organisations in performance and efficiency. And there are also benefits for clinicians’ personal satisfaction. These skills support doctors on a daily basis through clarity of purpose and good time management. But they are also essential for the success of change projects and for the management of serious incidents.
The course maps to the Medical Leadership Competency Framework developed by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and the NHS Leadership Academy. It also maps to the more recent FMLM Leadership and Management Standards for Medical Professionals.
What will I learn?
During this 1-day course your tutor introduces you to a variety of concepts and models. But we now you want more than theory. We know that you want to be able to apply what you learn. So we have carefully selected principles which are easy to learn, yet powerful enough to adapt to a broad range of situations. Here are a few examples of the broad range of situations you can use these skills:
- From managing research projects through to conducting an audit.
- From controlling your personal development and revalidation through to developing a business case.
- For preparing an essay or to critical incident investigation.
- When leading quality improvement projects or for developing a new service.
- For running effective meetings and much, much more.
The key topics are:
Review and Root cause analysis.
- You explore methods of reflection, review and investigation.
- These are useful in establishing what has happened, why it has happened and for clarifying impacts of actions.
Developing aims and objectives.
- Experiment with different approaches for defining what you want to achieve as a result of your analysis.
Developing robust and realistic plans.
- Test out methods for preparing how both yourself and others will take action
Delivery and implementation.
- Ensure you know how to make it happen.
- This includes effective delegation, addressing procrastination and managing interruptions.
Time management and personal effectiveness.
- Because it’s important to manage yourself as much as you manage others.
Is this course right for me?
We’ve designed this course to move you forward in some key areas. Your abilities to manage time, people and resources is important at every stage of your career. Yet they increase in importance as you progress. Whatever level you are at, you will have two key areas of focus. First, you have to ensure personal effectiveness for your daily practice. Second, you should take part in quality improvement and development of services. In some situations you have a formal, leading role. At other times you are a participant in someone else’s project. And there are also times when you are working entirely on your own.
The skills required take time to develop. So it’s never too early to begin learning and never too late to refresh and explore something new. That is why FMLM therefore accredit this course as suitable for doctors of all levels.
Many doctors use their certificate from this course as evidence of leadership and management training. Some us it to support their application for CT, IMT or ST programmes. Others to gain their CESR, to achieve their CCT or as evidence for revalidation.
What is the format?
Our structure has a maximum of 18 delegates with hands-on exercises, discussion groups and engaging presentations. Your tutor takes care to make the various models, concepts and examples relevant to your specific experience and requirements. So the course is highly interactive. This means you can learn from both your experienced tutor and your fellow delegates. The variety of activities holds your attention from the 09:00 start time through to the end of the day. That’s typically 16:30-17:00 dependent on delegate numbers and interaction.
What about courses in the Virtual Classroom?
Courses in our Virtual Classrooms interactively cover the same content as our face-to-face courses. We use secure video meeting software for this format. This enables your tutor to lead group interaction where you learn together with other doctors. So you will receive the same CPD certificate as you would at any of our other venues. If you book a Virtual Classroom course, then you receive the digital copy of our Practical Leadership & Management for Doctors book. As an added bonus, you also have complimentary access to our Medical Leadership & Management Online Course. This provides you the opportunity to gain an additional 3 CPD points with a separate certificate as evidence of further leadership and management training. Please note. This additional online course is only provided as part of your package when your course takes place in our Virtual Classroom.
What other courses should I consider?
The Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors develops your ability to get things done through organising people, projects and resources. If you would like to consider other courses from our Medical Leadership & Management range as additions or alternatives then we recommend looking at the following options:
- Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management – 1-day course. Get things done through taking the lead and managing people. Includes leadership style, motivation, influence and dealing with under-performance.
- Everyday Medical Leadership & The NHS – Improve your everyday medical leadership and influence. Learn how to interact with the system you work within.
- 2 Day Medical Leadership & Management Course – Combines the Practical and the Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management and saves £140 compared to purchasing them separately. 12 CPD points.
- 3 Day Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – Our comprehensive course: lead people, manage resources and interact with the system. Explore the concepts and application of medical leadership and management in-depth by combining three key 1-day courses on consecutive days and save £180 compared to booking them separately.
One further option to consider, as either an alternative or add-on, is the Medical Leadership & Management Online Course. It lets you learn and gain 3 CPD points whenever the time suits you. So you can choose to do it in short bursts or all in one sitting.