The Francis Report highlighted the importance of team communication skills in reducing risk and error.
When the pressure is on it is not always easy to express yourself clearly or come across confidently. Being an effective communicator saves your time and energy and leads to greater personal achievement. It improves your perception of those around you and what is happening while reducing the risk of errors during key events like handovers. Others will begin to see you as someone with presence and influence.
The Oxford Medical Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors is a 1-day highly interactive course which will challenge and stimulate you to think again, about how to communicate. On this one day course we focus upon your interactions with colleagues and superiors, whether within small teams or in a larger organisational context. You will explore your personal communication style, how this differs to others, plus models of rapport, influence and trust before practising challenging scenarios in small groups. You will also look at assertiveness strategies to help you contribute more and communicate well in a medical environment. The ultimate impact upon patients is always kept in mind.
How will I benefit from this communication skills course?
- Identify your own communication style and how to use it to effectively
- Speak with confidence, listen with care, be understood readily
- Understand different ways to act assertively and interact with difficult people
- Learn how to reduce handover risks and ensure continuity
- establish the causes of typical impacts of stress on communication
- Develop tactics to handle conflict and to negotiate for positive results
- Improve your abilities to influence others, whether they are peers, juniors, in parallel teams or senior to yourself
How will being a better communicator help me?
- Saves you time and energy and can lead to greater personal achievement
- Reduces risk of error during handovers/helps you contribute more
- Reduces the likelihood of others making complaints about you
- Helps you get the right information by asking the right questions
- Improves the way you perceive those around you and what is happening
What support materials will I receive?
As soon as you register, you will receive 30 days of access to our one hour online course Healthy Teams in Healthcare to stimulate your thinking ahead of the course. This gives you the opportunity to gain a further 1 CPD point. You will also receive a print copy of Team Communication for Healthcare Professionals when you attend the event. We will utilise this at various points during the course and it also provides you with an excellent resource for future reference and continued learning.
Who is this Advanced Team Communication Skills Course suitable for?
This course is suitable for doctors of all grades and specialties.
What other courses should I consider?
The Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors concentrates on improving standards and performance by developing your interactions with colleagues. Other courses which may interest you from our range include:
- Advanced Patient Communication Skills Course for Doctors – A 1-day course dedicated to improving your direct patient interactions.
- 2-Day Advanced Communication Skills Course for Doctors – Combine our Advanced Team and Advanced Patient Communication Skills Courses on consecutive days and save £140 on your booking fees.
- Medical Team Communication Skills Online Course – 2 hour online course focused on difficult conversations, conflict and making change easy.