All dates for this course are currently taking place in our Virtual Training Rooms. We use video meeting software to provide you with the same interactive experience as attending one of our other venues in-person. This means you receive the same CPD certificate as you would at any of our other venues. So you can book with confidence, choosing from the available dates listed above.
Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors overview
Mentoring Skills for Doctors is a 1-day workshop from our Advanced Teach the Teacher range. Our focus is to enhance your ability to develop doctors on a 1-to-1 basis. Such activity often includes fostering the resilience of your colleagues. So the course also features in our Probity, Ethics and Resilience category. Doctors on this course explore best practice approaches to teaching, coaching and mentoring individuals. Developing these techniques enable you to become the ‘skilled helper’ who is highly valued by others.
Why this training?
The breadth and depth of knowledge you develop across your career is a valuable resource for others. So effectively sharing this resource is essential. Otherwise, what you have learned could be lost. Standards must be maintained and the evolutionary process must continue. This is why Good Medical Practice expects doctors to both gain and maintain teaching skills.
Teaching and guiding the development of others can take many forms. It ranges from lecturing large audiences, through running small group tutorials to working with individuals. These different contexts require different skills. For example, when supporting someone on a 1-to-1 basis there are better options than “instruct and tell”. So we offer you Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors as the route to enhancing your skills and excelling in this area.
Well over 2,000 doctors who attend our various Medical Teaching Skills Courses each year. So you’re in good company when you trust Oxford Medical with your development.
What will I learn?
During this interactive workshop, your experienced tutor guides you to:
- Explore the role of the skilled helper in healthcare.
- Practice using different models of coaching and mentoring.
- Develop methods of matching your approach to your learner’s requirements.
- Improve your ability to help identify potential options and solutions.
- Explore structures which support the development of realistic plans.
- Share experiences and learn from your fellow delegates as well as from your tutor.
Please note. We may refer to other development scenarios during the day. However, developing your skills for tutorial groups, presenting or lecturing are out of scope on this course.
Is this course right for me?
Are you a doctor who has some experience of teaching? And do you want to refresh and enhance your ability to develop individual doctors? If yes, then this course is ideal for you.
It’s relevant whether you are teaching in a formal or informal capacity. Seniority and time qualified are obvious indicators of relevant experience. Yet we also realise that many less experienced doctors have great interest in supporting learning and development. So have you already enjoyed a more general Teach the Teacher course? If yes, then we welcome you regardless of your grade. To book your place just choose your date and location from the list on this page, then enter your details.
It is accredited for 6 CPD points by CPD Healthcare. The certificate you receive states “Advanced Teach the Teacher”. This means you can use it as evidence of training for ST, CT or IMT applications, to gain CESR, CCT or for revalidation purposes.
A special note for Educational Supervisors and Clinical Supervisors
Are you an Educational Supervisor or Clinical Supervisor? Or perhaps you aspire to one of these roles? Then this course also maps to the following areas of the GMC Criteria for CS/ES Recognition:
- Ensuring safe and effective patient care through training – Balancing the needs of service delivery with education; Allowing trainees, when suitably competent, to take responsibility for care appropriate to the needs of the patient.
- Establishing and maintaining an environment for learning – Creating an environment for learning; identifying and planning learning opportunities.
- Teaching and facilitating learning – Assessing learning needs; Using a variety of methods to deliver the curriculum; skills teaching; developmental conversational skills.
- Enhancing learning through assessment – giving effective feedback.
- Supporting and monitoring educational progress – Setting and reviewing learning objectives; annual review of competence progression; identification of the trainee in difficulty.
- Guiding personal and professional development – Personal development planning; career support guidance and advice.
What’s the format?
Your experienced tutor facilitates the course as a 1-day workshop. We limit numbers to 12 delegates per event. The allows us to use an interactive approach so you can learn from your fellow delegates as well as form your tutor. First we introduce and discuss relevant theory, concepts and models. Then you have regular opportunities to experiment and share feedback in a safe environment.
What about courses in the Virtual Training Room?
Any courses in our Virtual Training Rooms interactively cover the same content as our face-to-face courses. We use secure video meeting software for this format with maximum of 8 delegates in this format. This lets your tutor to lead group interaction where you learn together with other doctors. As a result, you will receive the same CPD certificate as you would at any of our other venues. A great deal of coaching and mentoring activity now takes place online,via Skype, Facetime or Zoom. So a course in our Virtual Training Room is the ideal format if that is how you expect to be working. At the same time, doctors who usually support others face-to-face also give positive feedback for the Virtual Training Room courses.
What other courses should I consider?
Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors is a 1-day workshop focused on enhancing your skills to develop others in 1-to-1 situations. It is also worth considering:
- Advanced Teach the Teacher: Presenting & Lecturing for Doctors – Focus on large group teaching. This alternative or additional 1-day workshop is for doctors who already have teaching experience. 6 CPD points.
- Teach the Teacher Course for Doctors – Our renowned 2-day course. Explore adult educational theory, 1-2-1 teaching, small group teaching and large group teaching, 12 CPD points.
- Teach the Teacher Online – Our 3-hour distance learning course. We guide you through the process to design, deliver and evaluate your teaching project. The instant access is an ideal option if you are pushed for time or can’t find a suitable date/location. 3 CPD points.