Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors overview
Mentoring Skills for Doctors is a one-day workshop from the Advanced Teach the Teacher section of our Medical Teaching Skills range. Our focus here is on enhancing your 1-to-1 ‘teaching’ practice. To do this we explore the application of the best practice teaching, coaching and mentoring approaches which you can adopt as the ‘skilled helper’ who is highly valued by others.
Why this training?
The breadth and depth of knowledge you develop as your career progresses is an extremely valuable resource for others. Effectively sharing this resource is essential to ensure that what has been learned is not lost, standards maintained and the evolutionary process continues. Therefore Good Medical Practice explicitly states that doctors should both acquire and maintain competence in the practices of teaching.
Teaching takes many forms. It ranges from lecturing large audiences, interacting with large groups and running small group tutorials to working directly with individuals. A differing skill set is required for each context. When supporting other doctors on a 1-to-1 basis options exist beyond direct instruction and telling. So we offer you Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors as the route to enhancing your skills and excelling in this area.
Choose Oxford Medical Training and join over 1,000 doctors who attend our Teach the Teacher courses each year.
What will I learn?
During this interactive workshop, your experienced tutor will guide you to:
- Explore the role of being a skilled helper in healthcare
- Practice using different models to support coaching and mentoring
- Develop methods of matching approach to your learner’s requirements
- Improve your ability to identify your learner’s options and potential solutions
- Explore structures which support the development of realistic plans
- Share experiences in order to learn from your fellow delegates as well as from your tutor
Please note: Though we may mention other development methods, such as tutorial groups, presenting or lecturing, developing your skills for those areas are outwith the scope of this course.
Is this course right for me?
Are you a doctor who has gained experience of teaching? Do you want to enhance/refresh your 1-to-1 teaching skills? Then this course is ideal for you.
It is relevant whether you are teaching in a formal or informal capacity. Seniority and time qualified can be indicators of relevant experience levels. We also recognise that many less experienced doctors have great interest in teaching and self-development. Have you been actively engaged in teaching and already enjoyed a more general Teach the Teacher course? If yes, welcome you regardless of your grade. To book your place simply choose your date/location from the list lower down the page and enter your details.
As this is a teaching skills course, accredited by CPD Healthcare, your certificate of participation counts toward ST/CT interview scoring systems and CCT.
For current and aspiring Educational Supervisors or Clinical Supervisors the course supports your development in the following areas of the GMC Criteria for CS/ES Recognition:
- Ensuring safe and effective patient care through training – Balancing the needs of service delivery with education; Allowing trainees, when suitably competent, to take responsibility for care appropriate to the needs of the the patient.
- Establishing and maintaining an environment for learning – Creating an environment for learning; identifying and planning learning opportunities
- Teaching and facilitating learning – Assessing learning needs; Using a variety of methods to deliver the curriculum; skills teaching; developmental conversational skills
- Enhancing learning through assessment – giving effective feedback
- Supporting and monitoring educational progress – Setting and reviewing learning objectives; annual review of competence progression; identification of the trainee in difficulty
- Guiding personal and professional development – Personal development planning; career support guidance and advice
What is the format
The course is facilitated as a 1-day workshop by a member of our experienced Faculty of Tutors. We limit numbers to 12 delegates per event. This enables a fully interactive approach where you learn from your fellow delegates as well as form your tutor. We share relevant theory, concepts and models with regular opportunities to experiment and share feedback in a safe environment.
What other courses should I consider?
Advanced Teach the Teacher: Mentoring Skills for Doctors is a 1-day workshop focused on developing your skills to support others others in 1-2-1 situations. It is also worth considering:
- Advanced Teach the Teacher: Presenting & Lecturing for Doctors – Focus on large group teaching. An alternative or additional 1-day workshop is for doctors who already have teaching experience. 6 CPD points.
- Teach the Teacher Course for Doctors – Our renowned 2-day course exploring adult educational theory, 1-2-1 teaching, small group teaching and large group teaching, 12 CPD points.
- Teach the Teacher Online – Our 3 hour distance learning course guides you through he process to design, deliver and evaluate your teaching project. The instant access is an ideal option if you are pushed for time or can’t find a suitable date/location. 3 CPD points.
Would you like some help to make the best choice? Our website’s ‘Compare Course’ function lets you see side-by-side short descriptions of courses. Simply tick the ‘Compare Course’ box ( see below) for any courses which interest you, then click ‘Go’.