Overview of Advanced Patient Communication Skills Course for Doctors.
The demands of modern practise make it essential for doctors to continually review and develop their patient communication skills. The importance of the doctor and patient both being aligned is well documented. Numerous reports and studies have identified communication as an essential component for improving outcomes and experience, reducing errors and minimising complaints. But it can be difficult to know how to improve and the scale of the challenge involved in breaking bad news should never be underestimated. This one day course is designed to support your development by building upon your existing knowledge and experience.
What will I learn?
You will be introduced to new concepts, increase your self-awareness and clarify the factors affecting patient behaviour. We begin by identifying the challenges and work towards solutions. A typical flow of the day is to establish:
- What needs to be communicated and why
- The factors which impact upon communication
- Methods of increasing personal awareness
- Methods of achieving concordance and patient compliance
- Practical approaches for breaking bad news
- Effective tactics to handling complaints
What is the format?
You tutor is an experience clinician from our faculty who is skilled with teaching and facilitation. The course is limited to a maximum of 18 delegates and the interactive nature of the day is designed to enable learning from your fellow delegates and different specialities. You will be introduced to new concepts, undertaking exercises to increase your self-awareness, clarifying the factors affecting patient behaviour. You will then have the opportunity to practise difficult scenarios in a safe environment, helping you to develop both personal resilience and efficiency while having a positive influence on the patient’s experience. We start the day at 09:00 with typical finish time between 16:30-17:00 dependent on delegate numbers and interaction.
As part of your course package you will receive a copy of our Advanced Patient Communication Skills for Doctors guide book (retail price £29.99) to use for future reference and to sustain your development.
Is this course right for me?
Doctors off all grades and specialities give us excellent feedback about this course. We establish your personal challenges at the start of the day and encourage the sharing of experiences – both as clinicians and from the times which we have all been patients or carers – in a positive learning environment.
What other courses should I consider?
The Advanced Patient Communication Skills Course for Doctors concentrates on direct interactions with patients. Other courses which may interest you from our range include:
- Advanced Team Communication Skills Course for Doctors – A 1-day course to improve performance by developing your interactions with colleagues, regardless of their grade or discipline.
- 2-Day Advanced Communication Skills Course for Doctors – Combine our Advanced Team and Advanced Patient Communication Skills Courses on consecutive days and save £140 on your booking fees.