Reflective Writing Skills for Appraisal & CPD workshop overview
Reflective practice helps doctors in many ways. But how to do it well? On this intensive one-day course your expert tutor guides you through the process of writing reflections. It’s the ideal way to prepare for your appraisal meeting, for your Annual Review of Competency Progression (ARCP) or simply improve your ability to consolidate learning from your CPD activities.
During this workshop, we undertake a step-by-step process to translate your insights into the written word. We demonstrate that reflection is more than just a box-ticking exercise. Quality reflection can significantly enhance your insight and empathy, help you to develop and maintain resilience and reconnect you with what drew you to Medicine in the first place. Our format ensures you learn in a supportive, interactive environment. We offer you the space, time and guidance required to reflect on the challenges and successes of your practice. Along the way, we explore the GMC guidelines on reflective practice, (updated in 2018) and discuss their implications. So, we address any concerns related to confidentiality. This helps ensure your output is both safe and beneficial.
Why attend this course?
- Does your heart sink at the prospect of reflecting for your annual appraisal or ARCP meeting?
- Do you find yourself struggling, writing the same things over and over again in different ways?
- Maybe you enjoy reflection but aren’t sure how to approach it?
- Are you looking to find new ways to deal with the stresses and strains of being a doctor?
- Are you confused or worried that reflective writing could leave you vulnerable to litigation?
- Do you want to discover a way to stop wasting time and make reflective writing a genuinely beneficial activity?
- Or maybe you just want support to prepare for your next appraisal or ARCP?
If the answer to any one of these questions is yes then this course is for you. Proactive, constructive reflection is a powerful driver of learning, self-awareness, well-being and action. It enables solid foundations for both stability and growth. Reflective Writing Skills for Appraisal & CPD is a cornerstone course of our Medical Professionalism category of courses and services.
You will leave this workshop with clarity on effective processes for appraisal-focussed written reflection to meet GMC requirements. You will also create a significant quantity of material during the day which you can use for your next appraisal or ARCP meeting.
Who should attend?
Constructive reflection is essential for proactive development of all doctors. So, this course is designed to support doctors of all levels. That’s all the way from foundation doctors, through trainees, to SAS, GPs, Consultants and beyond. Delegate numbers are kept low. This lets us facilitate the event for all attendees to learn from each other as well as from the tutor.
What happens with a course in the Virtual Classroom?
Courses in our Virtual Classrooms interactively cover the same content as our face-to-face courses. We use secure video meeting software for this format. This enables your tutor to lead group interaction where you learn together with other doctors. So you will receive the same CPD certificate as you would at any of our other venues.
- An interactive workshop to develop your reflective practice
- Become more proactive and structured in your reflections
- Clarify principles of reflective practice and GMC guidelines
- Identify how to gain insight and empathy through quality reflections
- Develop your approach for improving resilience, communication, empathy and clinical technique
- Explore appraisal focused written reflection
- Practice your technique during the course
- Learn from your peers and receive feedback to improve your skills