Overview of Everyday Medical Leadership & The NHS
Everyday Medical Leadership & The NHS, our 1-Day course for doctors, maps directly to the Medical Leadership Competency Framework which was developed by the Academy of Medical Royal Colleges and the NHS Leadership Academy. It is one of a set of three distinct one-day courses from our Medical Leadership & Management category.
The challenge: The NHS is the world’s 5th largest employer. Can the actions of any individual doctor really make a difference? You may often be able to see what is wrong in your immediate surroundings and what you want to improve, but how? It is true that every moment of direct patient care is the end point of numerous processes of planning, financing and communication with a myriad of stakeholders involved. It is, however, also the culmination of the small actions and decisions made on a daily basis by each and every individual involved. To quote Sir Bruce Keogh, National Medical Director: doctors have a ‘moral and professional responsibility’ to understand the system in which they practise. This is the key to becoming a proactive, engaged contributor.
The solution: When you attend this course you will explore the system which you work within – past, present and future – identifying the everyday leadership actions which you can take to make a difference.
What will I learn?
We believe that its important to go beyond the facts. We know that you need to be capable of taking actions which make a genuine difference to outcomes, efficiency and experience. The headline topics are as follows:
- The conflicting challenges facing the UK’s healthcare system
- From expectations, finances, politics and morale we look at the issues from a broad range of viewpoints
- Defining the issues and why they have arisen
- Drivers, reactions and experiences of change – from Government to your daily practice
- What are the drivers of change
- How to choose your response to change
- The history of the NHS
- How did the current system develop
- What can we learn from the to make us stronger today and in the future?
- Clarifying the structures of the NHS
- Who does what in the NHS?
- What are the differences across the UK?
- Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales all take different approaches. We compare and contrast the four systems.
- Finance and the NHS
- Where does the money come from and where does it go?
- What impact can any single doctor have, regardless of current grade?
- Going forward
- How can I make good use of what I have learned?
Is this course right for me?
We will share with you the information and stimulate your thinking to enable you to make a genuine difference. The reasons for doctors attending this course are broad and varied with the range of personal outcomes for individual delegates include:
- improve ability to engage with colleagues when change is being imposed,
- developing clear opinions ahead of a forthcoming interview,
- taking your first steps to engage with the various bodies which constitute ‘the NHS’.
To repeat the words of Sir Bruce Keogh, all doctors have a ‘moral and professional responsibility’ to understand the system in which they practice. The emphasis is upon everyday leadership. Whether you are in your foundation years, middle grade, consultant level or new to the UK, our course will support you to consider your current practice and how you can best participate and to be part of the solution.
What is the format?
Your tutor will be a member of our faculty who has a thorough working knowledge of the healthcare system in the UK. Most often this is an experienced NHS Consultant level doctor. There will be a maximum of 18 delegates at each event to ensure that attending the course is a genuine interactive experience. Starting time is 09:00 and the day will typically end 16:30-17;00, dependent on delegate numbers and interaction.
You will also receive a copy of our comprehensive book A Guide to Medical Leadership & the NHS 2017-18 as part of your delegate package (retail price £49.99). This supports your learning during the course and also provides an excellent resource for future reference.
Dare you be optimistic for the NHS?
What other courses should I consider?
Through our Medical Leadership & The NHS 1-day course you will improve your everyday leadership by learning how to interact with the system you work within. If you would like to consider other courses from our Medical Leadership & Management range as additions or alternatives then we recommend looking at the following options:
- Essentials of Medical Leadership & Management – 1-day course. Get things done through taking the lead and managing people. Includes leadership style, motivation, influence and dealing with under-performance
- Practical Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – 1-day course. Get things done through organising people, projects and resources. Includes time-management, root-cause analysis, planning techniques and decision making.
- 3 Day Leadership & Management Course for Doctors – Our comprehensive course: lead people, manage resources and interact with the system (this options saves you £200 versus purchasing courses separately)
One further option to consider, as either an alternative or add-on, is the Online Medical Leadership & Management Course. It lets you learn and gain 3 CPD points whenever the time suits you. Choose to do it in short bursts or in one sitting.